Introduction: Practicing the Presence of Jesus
What is Yaconelli's presupposition about the current state of American youth culture and why "contemplative youth ministry" is so important? Do you agree or disagree with him? Give an example from your own experience with teens that supports your point of view.
Chapter 1: Teen Angst and Adult Anxiety
What Yaconelli is saying about anxiety in this chapter is somewhat controversial. Not everyone agrees that most youth ministry comes from a place of anxiety. Find, and quote, a sentence or two from this chapter with which you either agree or disagree and explain why.
Chapter 2: Life Without Expectations
In this chapter Mark describes a type of "youth ministry conversion" experience where his eyes are opened to a new reality for his ministry with youth. On page 59 he shares some of the questions which were rolling through his head upon reentering his youth ministry after this conversion.
Share your answer to these questions in relation to the place where you are working with youth.
- If God is alive and present, then how is God moving within the ministry?
- If God is so available, then how is God present to each of these kids?
On these dates I will post questions pertaining to these chapters.
- February 9th and 16th - Introduction, Chapters 1-2
- February 23rd - Chapters 3-6
- March 2nd - Chapters 7-10
- March 9th - Chapters 11-14